My Impressions of HM '08

For any one who was curious, which included myself, all those purple trees we saw are Eastern Redbud.

I didn't get the memo about everyone getting new tires. For this I will be eternally bitter. Oh sure, I read the post about L-Dub getting new tires because everyone else was, but apparently my brain thought that "everyone" meant "no one but Larry".

Rockhouse bites. From the Gilbert trail connector (I do like the new connector however) to any trail worth riding is torture. Trail 19 is sado-masochistic. I propose that next year we trailer to the Man trailhead. At least from there we can more easily get to the trails that we like the best.

Bear Wallow, I hardly knew ye. Great riding. The best of the weekend. Oh sure, the ride into Logan was a bit scary, but everything else was just grand. If only they would keep more of the trails in this system open. All hail the coal pile. Man. That was a thrill. My apologies to the guy who rolled down the little hill. Although it wasn't my fault. You're just a lousy rider. Trail 97 was my favorite individual trail. Short and sweet. I'm glad I turned around and rode back up.

Buffalo Mountain and rain. They go together like Hans and Franz. Definitely not as good of a system as it used to be, but riding on the edge of a cliff for 45 minutes straight has its moments. With Nate's Hill being castrated last year and Trail 39 having lost its pucker factor this year, there's not much of a challenge here any more. Other than that "edge of the cliff" thing and the rain, and the "sliding off the edge of the cliff" thing because of the rain. Big A's hole was violated, and I let it happen. They say that time heals all wounds. In this case, I'm not so sure.

The Pit Stop and peanuts were better than any movie and popcorn. And the classic musty grass flavor of Old Milwaukee was icing on the cake.

Comments

Rob said…
I vote for skipping Rockhouse next year.

We could do Pinnicle or Waterways as an alternative.
Big A said…
Which one did we do last year where the entrance was by the coal company store? that was fun.

I've always wanted to Bear Wallow, but apparently tradition holds that you only do it on years that Big A stays home. I'd like to see the coal piles in person - because from the pictures they don't really look like much.
Rob said…
Indian Ridge had the company store. I don't remember much about the trails other than that.
gagknee said…
we'll do bear wallow again next year.