To Fix or Not to Fix?

Got the oil changed today and figured out the problem with the rear brakes. The cable for the foot pedal was almost completely seized. I was able to lift it up the pedal by jamming the head of a framing hammer between the pedal and the foot peg. Pushed it back down by stepping on it. Several reps of this loosened it up a little bit, but not anywhere even remotely close to "usable". The question is - is it worth fixing? I NEVER use the foot pedal and the handlebar lever seems to work just fine.

The Front brakes seem a little soft. I might investigate that tomorrow. I discovered this today when I tried to take it into the woods behind my house and could not get over the tree laying across the trail on an extremely steep hill. Front brakes alone would not keep the machine from rolling down the hill. This created an interesting situation as I tried to get it turned around without tipping over. I was also in shorts and sandals and hadn't properly installed the seat - but all worked out in the end...

Comments

gagknee said…
"jamming the head of a framing hammer"

that's honda abuse. in some states thats a felony and in many a class 3 misdemeanor.
Big A said…
Don't worry. I was very gentle.
L-DUB said…
I'm sure a few turns of the front brake adjusters will tighen the brakes up.

Remember there are 2 adjusters per wheel. Hopefully they are not frozen/rusted like mine were.
gagknee said…
"Don't worry. I was very gentle"

I'll take things you say to your father in law for $400, Alex.
gagknee said…
ah. the wonders of front drum brakes. i remember the recon well.
Big A said…
oh yeah, I'm sure those adjusters are good as new after being submerged in snow for a while - two years in a row.
gagknee said…
submerged in snow!? lalalalalalala i can't hear you lalalalalala

i hope the honda police don't catch up with you. the sentence? a polaris. a polaris trailboss.